I have interviewed for a few head coach positions in my career. The interview process can be a little overwhelming. Often times you are sitting in a room being interviewed by a panel of people that can range from 2 to 10 or more! All of these people asking questions have a different agenda and want to hear specific answers to make them happy. These are typically the types of people you might have on a panel:
- Parent that wants to hear you talk about how you will make their child’s life better.
- Administrator that wants to know how you are going to positively reflect the school.
- Vice Principal that wants to know how you will support academics.
- Athletic Director wants to make sure they make the right hire and you will be someone they can work with.
- Other Sport Coach wants to make sure you don’t consider football to be the end all be all of the school.
- Booster Member that wants to know how you will work with them and help raise money.
- Influential Alumnus that wants to make sure you will bring (or keep) the football program at a level of dominance.
These are obviously only a few of the possible people that might be on the panel, and they are also a generalization of what you might see.
There is not usually a “right” answer to any of the questions. What works for one interview is not necessarily the right answer for a different one. My only advice is to plan out your answers to each question. Do not try to answer the question to get the answer “right”, instead, use the questions to make sure that your Coaching Plan is detailed, organized and covers all possible answers. Be genuine, because if you get the job, you will have to prove these answers to be true.
The first thing I will do is direct you to the Eight Laces website. Coach Chris Fore provides detailed articles, books and consulting services on the proper way to answer these questions below. I cannot recommend his services enough!
These questions are culled from many different sources. Some are from personal experience and some are taken from the experiences of others. I want this list to be exhaustive, so if you have any questions that are not on here, please let me know and I will add them to the list!